Saturday, April 30, 2011

Autism Awareness doesn't stop because April is Awareness Month...

Autism is something I talk about every day. I face it everyday and all day with my boys. It's ok somedays, but hard others. People stare at me trying to discipline my kids and say what's your problem. My reply some days is just simple this, would you like to try a day in my shoes living with autism! Most people walk away with saying nothing, others will say how can I help...... these are the people that always seem to reappear in my life from time to time.
Like one time coming out of a toy store a man asked me if he could help with my son and I reluctantly said no. He was a electrician that came to our home about a year later to do some work. His words to me where that day where you have come along way since the parking lot incident. I was like you are the man that offered help! He said, yes and he actually waited to make sure he was ok and then drove away. Now ya never know in a million years how you will be remembered.
So, if you see a situation that might need help ask if you can help. Or not, some times a different voice or look at the situation may help that parent with a difficult child. Not always, but at least a person doesn't feel helpless in the situation that cannot remedy at the time.
It's just what I would do if I had the chance again.
Autism is just a disorder, not a disease, but it is happening more often in life. 1 of 110 kids are diagnosed and 1 in 90 are boys.

Info go to autismspeaks.org is you need to know the signs or want more information. My walk page is still open if you want to make a donation.
www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/sonoma/hopeforbuddiesandfriends

No comments:

Post a Comment